Hotjar is a powerful product that reveals the online behavior and voice of a website’s users. By combining both analysis and feedback tools, Hotjar gives the ‘big picture’ of how to improve a site's user experience and performance / conversion rates. Our team work on the compelling challenges that come with large-scale web traffic and analytics, on a product that has a real impact on the thousands of users we support around the world. We work in an agile environment, 100% remotely, and actively encourage both personal and professional growth; always be learning is one of our core values.
Headquartered on the beautiful island of Malta, in the ‘heart’ of the Mediterranean, Hotjar is a successful start-up that operates on a fully remote basis, and with a key emphasis on personal development.
Spread throughout the Americas, Europe, Africa and Asia, our team casts a wide net across a multitude of locations, lifestyles and backgrounds. It’s our differences that make us interesting, and our shared belief in Hotjar’s core values that bind us together.
Hotjar's culture is driven by respect, transparency, collaboration and direct feedback. We have no room on our team for disrespect, office politics or discrimination of any kind. We're obsessed with communicating with our users as well as within the team. We hate bureaucracy and slow moving organizations – but we're suckers for well-defined processes. We love lean, iterative improvements, and success is measured by the value we create for our users.
We’re at 65 people and growing!
100% remote. We do have an office (in Malta), though we wouldn’t all fit in it at once. We’ve been completely remote from the outset - we’d rather our team work how and where makes the most sense to them, rather than being unproductive in an office all day.
Our Product & Engineering team is based almost exclusively in Europe and Africa. The number of North American outliers might grow but it’s EMEA for now. The rest of the company stretches into the Americas also.
Our locations are based on timezones - we have certain timezone restrictions for each role (anywhere within EMEA for P&E) and don’t mind where you are or how much you move around within those timezones.
Our back-end is built in Python, our front-end is built in AngularJS and our databases are a mix of PostgreSQL and HBase.
- As of Sept 2017, we have 18 app servers sitting behind the Amazon ELB load balancer.
- We monitor server performance using NewRelic.
- We use StatusCake and VictorOps to notify us whenever something goes wrong.
- We send events to Intercom and Mixpanel for our marketing team to use.
- We use four types of persistent data storage: PostgreSQL, HBase, S3 and Elasticsearch.
- We use Lua embedded in Nginx to process incoming data
- We use Amazon's SES service to send emails to our users.
- We use Redis and Memcached for in-memory caching.
- We use Jenkins as our CI server.
And some metrics:
- 31,000 requests to the Hotjar Script per second.
- 384 GB memory on our application instances, 772 GB memory for Elasticsearch, PostgreSQL, and HBase servers for a total of 1,156 GB.
- 192 vCPUs running application instances, 120 vCPUs for Elasticsearch, Postgres, and HBase servers for a total of 312 vCPUs.
- 16,500 API requests per second.
- 2,300 PostgreSQL operations per second.
- 10 GB added to our PostgreSQL database daily.
Malta only. Anyone’s welcome to work from there if they happen to find themselves in Malta.
How to apply
You can find all of our open roles, as well as more info, at https://careers.hotjar.com.